Submissions are now open for 2013!
The call for entries is now open for the seventh annual Dark Carnival International Film Festival. The festival invites all filmmakers from around the world to submit their films. We are searching for the best in horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and animation. We accept shorts, features, and trailers, and we’re looking for the unique and unusual – documentaries, experimental films, music videos and more are all welcome.
The Dark Carnival International Film Festival has received films from more than two dozen countries from all over the planet, and from almost every state in the US. In a relatively short time, we have gained a reputation as a festival that values indie filmmakers, and that loves the horror genre as something much more than a business niche or a way to sell merchandise.
As a result we’ve gained the attention of local, regional, and national publications, as well as a variety of internationally recognized sponsors, including HorrorHound Magazine, Rue Morgue Magazine, Avid, and Final Draft.
Our festival submission fees are among the lowest, while at the same time, we work hard to make sure we give a better return on that investment than other festivals. For more on why you should submit your film to Dark Carnival, visit our FILMMAKER FAQ.
1. The preferred format for exhibition is DVD and Blu-ray. We can also accommodate digital files, however please contact us before submitting. (DVDs and Blu-rays must be Region 0 or 1 and NTSC format.)
2. All films should have been produced after January 2010.
3. Foreign films must be dubbed in English or presented in their original language with English language subtitles.
4. You must complete an online entry form for each film you submit.
5. Each film must be on a separate DVD/Blu-ray.
6. Do not send a film copy with “FOR SCREENING PURPOSES ONLY” protectors. If your film is selected, your preview submission copy will be used for exhibition screening. Also, please do not send us your master copy. See more about this in our FILMMAKER FAQ.
How to submit
Submissions must be completed online. Send us a clearly labeled DVD/Blu-rey for review, per the instructions on the submission form. Don’t forget to include your name, film title, total run time, and contact information on all submitted materials. Also, if you have a trailer, send us the link or the DVD. (If you film is selected, we’ll include your trailer on our site.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to know what we look for in a movie? Curious about where your submission fees go, or what you get in return? Ever wonder how films are judged for selection and awards?
We’ve covered all that and more in our FILMMAKER FAQ.
Submission of your work confirms that the Dark Carnival Film Festival has permission to exhibit your film(s) during the Festival and/or at any other Festival event. Submission of a work implies that the Festival can employ moving image excerpts and reproduce stills for exhibition promotion. Credit will be given to any filmmaker, screenwriter and/or game developer if such material is used in Festival promotion. Original copyright holder retains all rights to their work.